Salvation – Salvation is God’s free gift to us, but we must accept it. We can never make up for our sin by self-improvement or good works. God has offered to forgive us and save us from sin’s penalty, but that only happens when we respond to Jesus Christ in faith.
- Ephesians 2:8-9
Faith- In the Bible, faith is not just belief. Faith is belief + trust.
When a person in the New Testament becomes a follower of Jesus, we see four common actions indicating that person’s genuine faith:
- Believe— accept that Jesus is who the Bible says he is
- Confess— publicly acknowledge an identification with Christ
- Repent—turn away from sin and moving from a self-directed life to a Christ-directed life.
- Be baptized— be immersed in water, indicating the burial of an old life and the beginning of new life in Christ
Baptism – The word "baptism" as it appears in the Bible means immersion(the process of submersion in water followed by emergence from the water). Scholars agree that the baptism of the Bible is immersion. Baptism is a tangible, visible, physical expression of what is happening inside spiritually. The act of baptism does not save you—Jesus does. Why should we be baptized? 1. Because Jesus was baptized, and he is our model and example (Matthew 3:13-17). 2. Because Jesus commanded it. (Matthew 28:19-20).
- Romans 6:3-4
- Other Scriptures: Acts 8:35-39; 1 Corinthians 12:13; Galatians 3:27; 1 Peter 3:21